+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks

Default Blood breeding age and size

Hello! I want to know about the Blood Python's breeding age and size, I had searched on google, some say 2-4 years and some say 18 months-2 years, which one is the correct one? And some even say 2 years, but your blood must reach 900g+. So which year is the correct and what size? Thanks!!

Thanks

Default Re: Blood breeding age and size

There are some good caresheets out there with that information. You could also probably find what you're looking for if you search this forum. Everyone has different opinions.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Viperidae View Post
    Hello! I want to know about the Blood Python's breeding age and size, I had searched on google, some say 2-4 years and some say 18 months-2 years, which one is the correct one? And some even say 2 years, but your blood must reach 900g+. So which year is the correct and what size? Thanks!!
    If you search this site you should find many discussions on this subject. Males and females are different though I find it very unlikely anyone mentioned 900+gram breeding weight for a blood. This may have been taken out of context and more relates to ball pythons, p. regius.

Generally older is better with males going earlier at 18-24 months, but with a potential of immature sperm. Thus this leads to low production. Females are best held until age 4, though age 3 is possible but with also low/immature fertility.
    Rich Crowley
    www.richcrowleyreptiles.com

Support your local herp society
    www.chicagoherp.org

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RichCrowley:

Thanks

If you breed a female blood before she has reached adulthood, is there a chance of stunting her growth?

Thanks

You certainly risk her slugging out, or becoming eggbound.

Quote Originally Posted by Messianide View Post
    If you breed a female blood before she has reached adulthood, is there a chance of stunting her growth?

Thanks

I don't know about bloods - or if there've even been enough breedings for anyone to know - but I have heard that with balls, if a female is bred young 'n small, she may not only slug out or become eggbound, but even if the breeding is successful, the clutch is likely to be small. And so may all of her subsequent clutches.

Not worth the risk, to my way of thinking.

Mind you, the above is the 2 yen of one who considers himself a bloody newbie - and is likely to feel that way for a while yet!

~Bruce

Thanks

I just theorized that it may follow a similiar rule to cats, for example. I had a young female cat that became preggers when she was 8 months old, had two healthy kittens, but never really got any bigger after that. I think her body directed all her nutrients toward the kittens, and left her stunted. Cats and snakes are totally different I realize, but the laws of nature apply equally to both. If I bred my snakes young, and only got a few babies, thats more than I would have gotten, right? But if it endangers her health or life it is totally not worth it. Just figured someone on here HAD to have an experience with this.

Thanks

A lot of info floating out there and I have heard many things. Most base things on weight then by age. I have a small issue with that since no definition of standard weights for lengths exist. Is a 4' long blood that comes in at 20 lbs fat or skinny? A Female or male may make the weight earlier than what is suggested, but if they only make it cause the owner has over fed them and made them fat is the weight of the snake really the issue to determine if she is ready to breed or vise versa. You have a female that is definately of age, but has been under fed and is on the skinny side, is she safe to breed? Things would be a lot clearer if we had a chart that said:

1' to 1.5' Blood females should weigh between X and Y
    1.5' to 2' Blood females should weigh between A and B
    2' to 2.5' Blood females should weigh between C and D
    etc...

Then again I don't know if enough is known to develop a legit chart?

OK, I'm done for now!

Thanks

I'm relatively new to this and have no personal breeding experience with snakes, but I do know that for most mammals and more specifically livestock weight is a much more important factor than age. The female has to reach a certain level of fat concentration to go into puberty and actually become capable of production, and then additional gain is needed to sustain a fetus. The cattle people set a goal of 18 months and work on growing the cow to appropriate size by then for the highest return and profit. Of course, any smart rancher knows not to push the animal too hard and that growth does take time, anything too fast could lead to structural problems or potentially reproductive problems down the line.

Also, to relate to the slug issue, most cattle bred too lean often abort, regardless of age.

I don't know if this helps but the point I'm trying to make is that I'm positive there is a certain weight that is the magic number for the short tail pythons and that it is more of a question of breeding size and not age.

Oh, and sorry if this is in no way helpful and sounds like pointless rambling, I haven't posted much and I guess I'm making up for it now.
    Do as you are told and maybe then they'll let you out. -Ra

11. The Following User Says Thank You to darwin:

Thanks

No, thats cool, that would seem to confirm my suspicions about it.